Sunday 3 March 2013

Western Bluebird, Bushtit, Red Shoulder Hawk Kalifornia day two Saturday two (part 1) 20130302


The girls were going to spend some time together this morning so I decided to revisit the spot where Laurel and I were yesterday. While I thought it would be tough to be “beat” yesterday I was hoping for better images of the Bluebirds and maybe a better hummer shot or two. The Yellowrumps were everywhere again. This is an Audubon's version.
I was able to spot a pair of Mourning Doves, and an Osprey did a quick fly by, the hummers were un-cooperative, and now that I know  how to “see” them Black Phoebes are actually quite common here.More California Towhee’s and White Crowned sparrows were dancing around the base of trees along the pathway. The Bluebirds were pretty easy to locate, (local knowledge is terrifically helpful). Here is a shot of the muted female.
 The male was nice enough to present himself for a couple of shots as well.
As a “first” real opportunity to grab some shots I thought I would throw in a second of these beautiful birds.
I want to thank Amy (sp) for her time and knowledge today, she was a wealth of information, I hope she is checking out the blog, as I need some assistance with a couple of California specie identifications (or speciations as they are referred to in my circle). I believe this is actually a Bush Tit
On the walk back to get picked up I spied this Red Shouldered Hawk, it was a long way off, but I believe the ID is accurate.
The walk back to the designate pick up spot also netted me a Spotted Towhee
And this Sparrow that was singing his heart out. Perhaps this is an ID that Amy can assist me with? J
My final bird for the session was this Allan’s Hummingbird. (thanks for the correction Amy!)
I hope this afternoon is as fruitful as this morning. Apparently I will be able to get for another walk later today. Have a great Wildlife week!
Turbo






2 comments:

  1. hey Paul!
    The vocal sparrow you have there is a song sparrow! And you correctly Id'd the Red Shouldered Hawk! And that Anna's hummingbird actually looks like it may be an Allens~ :)

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Amy, if this one is a Bush Tit, what is the near all-black bird on my previous post? The Ladies at the Audubon center thought it might be a moulting Say's Phoebe.

    ReplyDelete