Monday 7 May 2012

Willet, YHBB, American Pipit, Merlin, Whiteface Ibis right here in Alberta!

Well after a stellar morning, and missing out on a great evening last week, Tim decided to come along for cruise on Sunday afternoon. I believe it was a real treat as we had the opportunity to spot and photo several birds that he had never seen before. We started the day off with a Red fox, but no photos of any quality to post. Next up were some Northern Shovelers.
Then after a couple of "dry" ponds we found three (I think) different shore birds that I am yet to Identify:
I have shown them from smallest to largest, three distinctly different sized birds. Then there was this Swainson that flew overhead a litle while later.
Then another mystery bird?
We saw many Western Meadow Larks, and I was able to improve my front on shots that show their tremendous yellow breast and black vee.
After some more birds of prey and a couple of American Avocets, we found our big surprise for the day the White faced Ibis!
Beautiful irradecent feathers, and we foud three together, TERRIFIC!'
After the Ibis' we had no further expectations on the day, but we continued to find Birds of Prey everywhere including this Merlin

The day continued with a lot more waterfowl and Blackbirds like this Redwing
Sheesh I am going to cut this post off here as I have more to show you, including more mystery birds a muskrat, a couple of good Yellow Headed BB shots, and even a Hen pheasant.  I might have to borrow one of those from Tim, as he managed to get much closer than I.  I hope EVeryone has a GREAT week, what SUPER colour we are strting to get back into our lives:)

Turbo







No comments:

Post a Comment